Thursday, July 9, 2009

Words to describe me

• Funny
•Honest
•Native-American
•White
•Respectful
•Understanding
•Racial Equality

The words above are only 7 of hundreds of words and phrases that represent who I am and where I belong in life. I only listed 7 because if I wrote everything down it would take days. I think it’s the same for everyone, even if they don’t know it. Funny and honest are up there because to some people, I am a pretty funny dude. I also like to maintain a certain level of honesty among the people I live with. Native American and white are up there because those are the two races that I belong to. My dad is white and my mom is Native American. Respectful is up there because respect is one of my most valued beliefs. I do my best to give everyone the exact amount of respect they deserve, no matter how great or little respect it may be. Understanding is one because I was taught growing up that life for everyone just isn’t the same. There are people who have much better lives than me. Their futures are all set. There are also people that have way worse lives than me. I understand that lives can be different. Be glad with what you have. And finally racial equality. My mom was discriminated constantly by my grandma on my dad’s side of the family. This allowed me to experience racism first hand. I honestly hate racism. No person should have to suffer through the hell racism brings. These are the words that define me.

1 comment:

  1. Very well expressed. Good writing all around. I like how you identify as a writer and a thinker. Also, you express a good deal of empathy for others. "Sometimes it can be upsetting to see the people you are a part of exist in such a sorry state. However, to rise above the challenges set in a place like this means something." What I see here is someone who observes the world, sees the problems, rises above them, and thinks about how people feel. Those are great traits. Your writing brings those qualities out. Besides a writer and a thinker, you are a problem solver. Good luck.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete